So the first decision is to attack the left sill, which was exposed on the last blog.Cutting the old sill away revealed the complexity of the metalwork that makes it up. Because this car is a convertible, all of the strength, that stops this car bending in the middle, is built into the sills and in the case of my car, that strength is gone.
Colin decided that it would be a good idea to make the new parts out of thicker metal, to give the sill extra strength. This diagram shows the make up of the sill. The RED line shows the inner Heater Tunnel, a very complex shape and the backbone of the sill. Colin made a new one out of 2mm steel, complete with the captive nuts to allow the body to bolt to it. The BLUE line shows the back of the heater tunnel. This was made with 1.5mm steel and is welded to the heater tunnel. Next comes the GREEN line. This is the strengthening Beam, also welded to the heater tunnel and then finally the PURPLE line, which is the outer sill itself and the bit that you see on the surface, which I have already bought as a replacement panel.
Here you can see the completed heater tunnel, ready for fitting to the car. As you can see, it's not just a straight piece of metal as it has to include the oval connection tube for the heater pipe and a cut-out at the front for the heater vent. You can also spot a piece of perforated oval tubing, at the side of the heater tunnel. This was for repairing the "Y" shaped tube that joins the heater tunnel to the heater pipe coming from the engine under the back seat.
So here's Colin setting about making the next part, the Strengthening Beam. As you can see, he's a bit better equipped than me for making parts like this and with an industrial guillotine and folding press, he can make short work of producing a new part.
Once made the new strengthening beam can be welded into place, covering the heater tunnel back plate and forming a third level of strengthening.
As you can see it fits beautifully and the car really looks how it should at last.
Well that's it for the bodywork for this episode but I did have one more event that was a bit of a step backwards and one bit of progress.
The backward step was that I had sent off my gearbox for aqua-blasting. I had hoped that, as the gearbox worked perfectly, I could simply clean it and not strip it. When it returned it was lovely and clean but I did notice some gritty deposits in the bell housing etc. So I decided to take the differential side plate off one side, just to check that none of this grit had got into the inside of the gearbox. Bad news! The bearings were full of grit as was the rest of the differential, so it was reasonable to expect that it had also got inside the gearbox proper. So I've had to send it off for a complete strip with all new bearings and seals.
The progress was with the engine. The dairy tubes, that I had been waiting for, finally arrived and I was finally able to take the whole engine up to Colin's to have the heater pipes made. By cutting the tubes at different angles, Colin was able to make the twisted tubes needed to connect the heater boxes to the fan housing tubes.
The fitting of these tubes finally allowed the heater pipes to be fitted and the engine to be completed and it is now off the stand and got 4.5 pints of mineral oil in it.
I've now got the long wait, before it can be fitted in the car and see if it actually goes!!
Copyright 14.04.18 all rights reserved.
My Other Blogs:
1961 BSA A10 Super Rocket Motorcycle:
1961 Ariel Arrow Super Sport Motorcycle :
Miniature Land Rover Defender:
Motorcycle Trailers / Caravans: